LAW: RIPA [Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act]
This course gives delegates an understanding of the legal regime under RIPA. They will learn how to achieve legal compliance when planning, authorising and/or conducting investigative practices regulated by RIPA.
Interception of communications, surveillance and use of Covert Human Intelligence Sources (CHIS) must be carried out in strict accordance with RIPA. Failure to do so may be unlawful and result in evidence being inadmissible. It could also lead to civil actions for damages.
This course enables you to:
- Understanding the interception of communications, the different types of surveillance and Covert Human Intelligence Sources (CHIS) under RIPA
- Know what evidence is needed to gain authorisation under RIPA
- Keep sufficient and proper records to justify the conduct under RIPA
- Understand how to carry out lawful and justified infringement of individuals’ relevant human rights
- Apply the principles of lawfulness, necessity and proportionality factual to situations
All officers who are required to gather evidence and/or undertake enforcement activity.
Half-day and available as a distance learning refresher