By law all children and vulnerable persons’ need an appropriate adult to be present during interview to improve communication between police and that person, and to look out for their welfare.
As an appropriate adult your role is to ensure that the person’s interests are represented and their rights are protected.
This course enables you to:
- Understand the role of the appropriate adult.
- Know police process, police and criminal evidence codes.
- Recognise who’s who at the police station or court.
- Understand instructions, custody records and paperwork.
- Implement boundaries and deal with commonly faced dilemmas.
- Deal with challenging behaviour.
Is helpful for:
Frontline staff, carers, youth workers, out reach workers, volunteers